Aggressive Lawyers Fighting for Kentucky’s Injured Pedestrians
Did you know that Louisville is one of the most dangerous cities in the country for pedestrians? According to the Department of Transportation (DOT), the Kentucky city ranks 19th in the country for fatal pedestrian accidents, behind only behemoth urban areas like New York City and Los Angeles. Specifically, 59 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in the Louisville area in 2012, six in the Louisville city limits.
If you or a family member has been harmed in a Kentucky pedestrian accident, it is imperative to learn who was responsible for the injury and whether or not you deserve compensation for damages. At Gladstein Law, our legal team is dedicated to helping victims and their families find justice and financial support after a pedestrian accident.
To learn more about your accident, and to get all of your legal questions answered, contact us today for a free, private consultation.
Four Dangerous Pedestrian Areas in Louisville, Kentucky
Although pedestrian accidents can happen anywhere and at any time, some areas of Louisville are more dangerous than others. According to statistics, the four most dangerous pedestrian areas in the city are:
- Dixie Highway.
- Bardstown Road.
- Hikes Lane.
- Downtown Louisville.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Kentucky
In some cases, pedestrian accidents occur because drivers are negligent. In all cases, drivers are responsible to yield to pedestrians in the roadway. When drivers are at fault for pedestrian accidents, the most common causes are:
- The driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The vehicle was speeding.
- The driver was distracted (texting, talking on cell phone, eating, etc.).
- The driver was taking a left-hand turn and fails to check for crossing pedestrians.
- The driver was not vigilant in a school zone or work zone.
- The driver failed to obey a rule of the road (traffic light, stop sign, etc.).
- The driver drove onto a pedestrian area (sidewalk, median, etc.).
On the other hand, pedestrians may also be wholly or partially responsible for pedestrian accidents. The common causes of these accidents include:
- The pedestrian was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The pedestrian was not using a crosswalk (was jaywalking).
- The pedestrian darted into the road.
- The pedestrian was distracted (by headphones, texting, etc.).
Quick Driver Tips For Preventing Pedestrian Accidents
How can you help prevent Louisville pedestrian accidents when you are behind the wheel? Here are a few quick pedestrian safety tips to get you started:
- Never engage in distracted driving – even a quick glance away from the road can lead to an accident.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs – a shocking 30 percent of pedestrian accidents involve DUI or DWI.
- Don’t drive with “tunnel vision” – always keep your eyes on what is going on just next to the road, including sidewalks and medians.
- Be vigilant in poor weather and at night, when pedestrians can be extremely difficult to see until they are in your headlights.
- Realize that young children may not be aware of the rules of the road and that they have a tendency to dart into the road without warning.
- Increase your vigilant in school zones and work zones, where there are often large numbers of pedestrians on the move.
Louisville Pedestrian Accidents & Wrongful Death Claims
When contact occurs between a pedestrian and a motor vehicle, the force and impact can have devastating consequences for the pedestrian even when a car is traveling at low speeds. In fact, 90 percent of all pedestrian collisions involve serious injury and pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to die in an traffic accident than vehicle occupants.
If your loved one has died after being struck by a car, truck, or other vehicle, you should speak to a Kentucky wrongful death attorney about your possible case. Filing a claim can ensure that the at-fault party takes responsibility for their negligence and that your loved one’s family has receives the compensation that they need and deserve.
Speak With An Experienced Louisville Personal Injury Attorney Today
Based in Louisville, attorney Seth Gladstein focuses on personal injury law, and he can help you learn about your rights as a pedestrian after an accident and injury. His law firm, Gladstein Law Firm, PLLC, will give you the help you need to collect the financial compensation you deserve.
Request a free consultation by calling (502) 855-4177 or (800) 991-0474. You are also invited to fill out the contact form on our website and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.