Emergency Room Medical Malpractice Attorney Serving Victims in Kentucky
With Americans visiting emergency rooms an estimated 138 million times every year, it’s extremely important that healthcare providers get it right, and help each and every sick or injured person recover. However, far too many ER visits don’t resolve the issue that brought the patient in, and some patients even leave the ER worse off than when they arrived, due to medical mistakes and medical malpractice.
About one-third of emergency room visits are for problems that are obvious, but the other two-thirds of the visits’ causes are not readily apparent. In fact, many people who visit the ER have no idea what is wrong; they only know that they are sick and need help. Medical personnel, including nurses and physicians, must investigate patients’ clinical signs and symptoms in order to make correct diagnoses. Since many life-threatening medical conditions have symptoms that are not obvious, it is the job of ER healthcare staff to be ever-vigilant in their quest to find the root of each patient’s problem.
While some emergency room errors are honest mistakes that take place with the doctors’ best intentions, and that could happen to even the best health care professional, other emergency room mistakes are completely preventable and would not have taken place except for someone’s negligence. Although emergency rooms are often stressful, high-pressure places to work, that is often not an excuse for a serious error, serious injury, or wrongful death.
If you believe that you or a loved one suffered an avoidable injury in an emergency room, you should immediately speak to an experienced Kentucky medical malpractice attorney about your case. Seth Gladstein will listen to the details of your case and let you know if he believes that you should file a lawsuit and seek compensation. To learn more please call (800) 991-0474 or fill out our quick online contact form.
Common Errors in Emergency Rooms
While most any type of error can occur in an emergency room, there are some errors that are more common and serious than others:
- Missed diagnosis or wrong diagnosis. This may be the most common type of emergency room error: Perhaps a doctor does not take the time to run a test, look closely at a test result, or listen to a full list of a patient’s symptoms. The result is that a serious medical issues is overlooked, or diagnosed as something less dangerous.
- Medication errors. Tired or overworked nurses may give a patient the wrong amount of medication, or the wrong type of medication altogether. The results can be catastrophic or even deadly.
- Misinterpretation of test results. Rushed, tired, or simply negligent medical professionals may only take a cursory look at an x-ray or lab result, missing important information that is key to a correct diagnosis.
- Delayed treatment. Busy waiting rooms or a shortage of beds can mean that patients sit waiting for medical help for minutes or hours. In some cases, that type of delay can be damaging or deadly.
Specifically, some conditions and illnesses are more prone to emergency room errors than others. These include:
- Heart attack
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Orthopedic injuries, including fractures
The Causes of Emergency Room Errors
Emergency rooms are more prone to errors than other medical settings, for some of the following reasons:
- Overworked/tired doctors and nurses
- A high-stress environment
- Busy or overcrowded waiting rooms
- Staff shortages
- Deviations from standard protocol
- Medical history mistakes
- Substance abuse among medical professionals
Remember: These are not issues that excuse medical malpractice – they are issues that can lead to medical malpractice.
Talk To Experienced Louisville Emergency Room Error Malpractice Attorney Seth Gladstein
Seth Gladstein, a Louisville injury attorney, deeply understands Kentucky medical malpractice laws, and can assist you every step of the way as you file your emergency room error claim and seek compensation for damages. Dedicated to helping people get their lives back on track after a serious medical mistake, Seth and the team at Gladstein Law Firm, PLLC, have the legal experience, compassion, and energy to help you through this difficult time, and to help you find justice.
We offer free, private legal consultants. To request a consultation with Seth, ask a question about our legal services, or simply tell your story, please call us today locally at (502) 855-4177 or toll-free at (800) 991-0474. In addition, you can request a consultation by filling out our quick online contact form.
*Each case is different and the past record is no assurance that we will be successful in reaching a favorable result in any future case. Client pays costs only upon recovery.