KY Lawyer Helping Auto Accident Victims
What Should You Do When You Are Struck By An Underinsured or Uninsured Driver?
In Kentucky, it is mandatory for all registered vehicles to have least $25,000 in liability auto insurance coverage. In addition, it is required for all non-motorcycle vehicles to have $10,000 in no-fault car insurance or for the owner to opt out of no-fault insurance. However, although these laws are in place to protect injury victims from going into debt because of a car accident, the system does not always work. In some cases, despite your own insurance coverage, you may be struck and injured by a driver who does not have insurance, or a driver who does not have sufficient insurance coverage to compensate for damages. In addition, drivers without insurance or without much insurance likely also do not have the funds to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages out of pocket, either.
When you have been struck and injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you may wish to speak with an experienced, aggressive Kentucky personal injury attorney about your case. Louisville attorney Seth Gladstein and his dedicated legal team are passionate about helping accident victims, including those who need to file an uninsured or underinsured driver claim.
To schedule a free, private consultation at Gladstein Law Firm, please call 800-991-0474 or fill out our contact form today.
Understanding Underinsured Motorists Claims
The majority of car accidents are not serious: They involve some property damage and minor injuries that heal within days or weeks. For these wrecks, Kentucky’s required insurance coverage amounts are usually enough to cover any loses in the crash. However, serious accidents and catastrophic injuries can have enormous costs, including hospital bills and lost wages that soar into six figures or more. In these cases, the liable party may not have enough liability insurance to cover all damages.
If you have underinsured motorist coverage as part of your policy, however, you can file a claim with your company to receive the money that you need and deserve. You simply have to prove that the driver in question was at-fault for the accident, and that the same driver does not have sufficient insurance to cover your injuries and related costs.
Understanding Uninsured Motorist Claims
A driver may not have auto insurance, because they are from a different state or because they are breaking Kentucky law and driving illegally. Just as with underinsured motorist claims, once you verify that the other driver was at-fault, and once you prove how much the accident cost you, you may file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance company – provided that uninsurance motorist coverage is part of your policy.
How to File an Underinsured or Uninsured Motorist Claim
In order to get the compensation that you deserve – as quickly as possible – it is important to follow the rules of the claims process carefully. Here are some quick tips:
- Even before you are involved in an accident, read your car insurance policy closely and carefully. Be sure that you know how much coverage you have, including PIP insurance, liability insurance, uninsured motorist insurance, and underinsured motorist insurance.
- Inform your insurance company as soon as possible after you believe that you will need to file an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim.
- Collect all needed evidence for your case, especially as it relates to your damages: Injuries, lost wages, medical bills, and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Make sure that your evidence also proves that the other driver was at-fault for your accident. To do this, collect the police report, photos, and any possible witness statements.
- Verify that the at-fault driver does not have insurance, or does not have enough insurance.
- Speak to a Kentucky car accident attorney if you don’t believe that your insurance company is offering you a fair amount in your case, or if you believe that your insurance company is acting in bad faith. Don’t settle your case quickly for less than you deserve.
Seth Gladstein Can Help With Your Underinsured or Uninsured Motorist Claim
A personal injury lawyer in Louisville, Kentucky, Seth Gladstein handles underinsured and uninsured motorist claims with the utmost care and efficiency. At no cost to you, he will evaluate your case and help you learn how to recover any compensation that you deserve from your injuries and damages.
You may reach Gladstein Law Firm, PLLC, Louisville personal injury lawyers, by calling (502) 855-4177 or (800) 991-0474. Alternatively, you may fill out our online contact form, and we will get back with you within 24 hours.
*Each case is different and the past record is no assurance that we will be successful in reaching a favorable result in any future case. Client pays costs only upon recovery.